Saturday, January 29, 2011

Jack's friend Sam

Sam and Jack met at the skatepark and became fast friends.  When Jack got hospitalized in December, he was at Morgan Stanley for almost three weeks.  Unknown to me, one week in, Jack posted on Facebook that he had been in the hospital for one week and one day and still no visitors.  Sam, new to Westchester asked his mother to bring him.  His mother is new to the US and the area, yet she put Sam in her Car, put Columbia Pres in her nav system and brought Sam to Washington Heights (Harlem)  to visit Jack.  Love that.

Last night, Jack struggling to be back to normal, begged to go Sam's house.  At nine he wanted a sleepover.  For most boys that requires a phone call.  Jack has tube in his nose and pack on his back and mother that has a hard time letting go.  But 9 pm, friend in tow, I went to Sam's filled Jack's bag and kissed him goodnight.

I just could not sleep.  And at four am, my phone rang.  I picked up on the first ring.  It was Jack and he was in tears.  I went to get him.  I guess without the pole the bag kept clogging and the alarm kept going off.  Jack, who is never in tears, said "I am never going to able to have sleep over, and I am sorry you had to pick me up at this hour."  Now I was crying, but I brushed the tears from his cheek and told him I loved him.  I also said I admired his courage and would figure this sleepover thing out.

Now I am tired and teary eyed.  He never cries.  Never ..four weeks in the hospital excruciating pain, needles, endless stays in the ER.  He never cries.. so this made me cry.

While I would prefer to have him ten feet away from me at all times.. I know now I have to learn to let go and let him find his way back to being normal.

No comments: