Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Not Another Trip to the ER at Columbia!

I am beginning to feel like I am a frequent flyer.  Quite honestly, I would rather have that status anywhere but here.

Jack has an NG tube.  I feed him through it.  Which means mixing powder like baby formula.  I am very unfamiliar to this as I breast fed all three of my children exclusively.  Monday night the tube became clogged.  The clouds rolled in.  Emotionally and physically exhausted, I thought I will not make it through another trip to the ER.  I called Jack's dad.  He said he was traveling.  He is always conveniently out of town.  Two weeks ago, the time I spent five days straight at Columbia, his dad was unable to come because he had to take the key to our house in Vermont to the realtor.  I later found out he took his new girlfriend on a ski vacation.  In December he was on the west coast with his new girlfriend.

So yesterday morning I packed Jack and went back to the ER.  Determined to get out in record time I bullied my way through.  Business as usual the ER was filled with kids from the area whose parents refused to get a primary doctor with fevers of 98.  Hardly something that should bring you to one of the top teaching hospitals in the country's ER.

This trip had a happy ending.  They decided to pull Jack's NG tube and let him try a low fat diet.  Jack and I were giddy on the car ride home.  Jack no longer has a tube running down to his nose.  He does not need to be fed every three hours through the night.  I actually got to have a night out.

He put on his back pack and for the first time in a month headed out the door to school  As I write this I find myself wondering how his day is going, sitting next to the phone waiting for a call.  So far so good...

My baby boy is out of the hospital, without a pic line or an NG tube.  All is right with the world, for now.

No comments: