Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Margaritas and the DesBerardos for a Cure


It has been a decade since my youngest children, jack on the right and kate on the left were diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis.  Its been a decade...  At the time I wanted nothing more than a glimpse into our future, to see what it held.  I now know that would not have been a good thing.

Jack has struggled with his Cystic Fibrosis, and have told his story here.  I never would have guessed that having a sick child would be so difficult.  Emotionally watching Jack endure what he has physically has been heartbreaking.  He is my little boy.  At four he wore his bumble bee stripped rubber boots every day for a year.  He liked anything with wheels. He was always in motion.  After he was diagnosed I used to rock him to sleep and whisper in his ear  "Stay with me Jack, Stay with momma, do not leave me Jack".

This year when Jack was hospitalized with a near fatal pic line infection, I found myself saying the same thing to him.

What I know now, his life will be a struggle.  A cure?  Well that will only come with the kindness of others.  You see the only way to get medical research done is to raise money.  Corporate funding is non existent for Children's disease, for one simple reason,  they do not grow up to be the CEO of coke.  They die.

I am hosting a party, inviting friends and family and my favorite band is going to play.  Not only to raise money but to thank everyone for the love and support Jack and I received this year.

I do not know what the future holds for Jack.  That is something his doctors say to me all the time.  Its uncertain.  I am certain of one thing.  I have hope.  My hope is you.

2 comments:

Glenn Hutchinson said...

Great Post Elizabeth!! heartfelt and I can tell and heartwarming all at the same time :)..

Glenn

elizabeth williams clark said...

Thank you for reading it Glenn. See you on the 27?