Sunday, January 30, 2011

Cystic Fibrosis

When Jack was first diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis I called his lung doctor daily with questions and cures I had found on the net.  Silly to think she had just overlooked them.  Finally, Dr. Quittell said "Liz go home and live your life, I will call when there is a cure."   So thats what I did, I went home and took care of my babies.  I had three in three years.  Sam, my first was big and beautiful and bright, 20 months later she had a brother.. I still think there are days she has not forgiven as she truly enjoyed her Only Child status.

Jack came into the house like a lightening rod.  He was a ball of energy from the start, and his sister Kate followed thirteen months after.  I went home to take care of my babies and wait for that call.

In the years that followed I have been pretty good at doing just that.. when Jack gets sick, my world stops and I get scared.  When he was a baby, I would just hold him and rock a him and whisper in his ear "do not leave, stay with mommy Jack.. do not leave me."  I still kiss him goodnight, when he is sick and say Jack stay with me.

I am here, taking care of my babies and waiting for that call.

No comments: